Nippon Assist - Move to Japan

Changing from a Student Visa to a Work Visa in Japan is a common transition for individuals seeking employment opportunities after their studies. To facilitate this process, it’s essential to understand the various types of Work Visas available and the specific requirements for each. Work Visas are based on individual industries and require a Bachelor’s degree or 10 years of work experience. The visa lengths vary, and categories include Professor, Artist, Investor/Business Manager, Journalist, among others. The Highly Skilled Professional Visa, more complex to obtain, is based on a points system and pertains to advanced specialized/technical activities, business management, and academic research. It grants a 5-year visa and may fast-track permanent residency. Working Holiday Visas, available to specific countries, are primarily for travel but may offer work opportunities for individuals aged 18 to 30. Additionally, the Specified Skills Visa, introduced to address labor shortages, has two types and requires a skills assessment, with the first type having a 5-year limit.

To change from a Student Visa to a Work Visa, secure a job offer from a Japanese employer and meet educational/experience requirements. Required documents include the application form for a change of residence status, a portrait photo, passport, residence card, resume, and certificates of education. Employer-provided documents, such as financial statements and tax reports, are also necessary. Apply promptly after signing the employment contract to avoid working under the wrong residence status. While some employers may assist, preparation is crucial. Processing times vary, but the current visa is automatically extended for 2 months during the review, with responses typically received within that period. If rejected, a temporary status is granted, and reasons may include qualifications, work experience, employer records, or document errors. Seek advice from the Immigration Office for explanations and, if applicable, reapply with additional required documents.